Monday, August 08, 2011

Are you missing a step in your journey?

I did something today.  Scheduled my twice a year mammogram for later this month. 

Yes, twice a year.  I have a regular mammogram and then 6 months later have an MRI mammogram.  I've been getting mammograms since I was 27.  That was the year my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Not only she was diagnosed, but her mother had it (twice) and her grandmother also had it, all about the same age of onset (47-48).  I talk about how my family decided to go through genetic testing here, here, here,  here, here, here, here, here, here, and finally here.  About the emotions and thoughts and the jumbled up thinking during the process.  I'd forgotten how emotional I was during that time.

At any rate, I have a high chance of getting breast cancer, or ovarian cancer.  So every 6 months I go in for a mammogram and monthly I do self exams. It's part of keeping me healthy.  Healthy.

So I was sitting here thinking, I wonder how many people on a healthiness journey to lose weight are missing part of the journey by not seeing a doctor regularly for check ups.  You know, those fun paps (not) and routine blood work, blood pressure checks, updated shots...  When was your last mammogram?

If you're one of these people, I challenge you to take some positive action and schedule an appointment.  After all, it's part of your journey.

1 comment:

  1. wow. That just hit me right where I sit! My mom is 1 year post radical mastectomy for her breast cancer...and I've been putting off a mammogram for awhile. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete