Tuesday, August 09, 2011

This past weekend I wanted...

This past weekend:

I wanted red velvet cake with fluffy white frosting...but I had cantaloupe, blueberries and strawberries with a bit of light whipped cream.

I wanted comforting creamy mac & cheese...but I had 1/5 elbows, 1/5 cauliflower, 1/5 broccoli, 1/5 red peppers and 1/5 grape tomatoes in a cheese sauce (homemade).

I wanted a cold beer at the concert we were at...but I had water with lemon and unsweetened ice tea.

Last night i wanted yellow cake with fudgy chocolate frosting.  Instead I found a recipe for zucchini bread and altered it a bit to make it healthier, but still leave me feeling like I was getting something sweet.

Altered Zucchini Bread

2 eggs
1 egg white
2 cups shredded zucchini, loosely packed
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cut white sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 2/3 cup unbleached wheat flour
1 1/3 cup unbleached white flour
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl, whisk together flours, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.  In another bowl, add eggs and mix well.  Add in sugars and mix until light and fluffy.  Add in oil and applesauce and mix well.  Add in zucchini and vanilla and 2-3 minutes to break up the shreds of zucchini.  Slowly add in the flour mixture, one third at a time and only mixing each addition until it's just mixed.

Spray 2 non stick loaf pans with non stick spray and lightly dust with wheat flour.  Separate 1/2 batter into one pan.  Add the chips to the remaining batter and mix well.  Pour into second pan.  Rap pans on counter to remove air bubbles and level out.

Bake 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Now I gotta admit, I need to tweak it a bit more.  I love moisy bread and this was a little dryer than I'd like.  Not horrible or bad, but just not as moist as I'd like.

Each loaf cut into 10 pieces has the following:  95 calories, 2 grams of fat, 17 grams carbs and 2 grams fiber.  When the comparison is several hundred calories in a piece of cake and frosting...this is pretty good.

So what do you switch out, change up or redo for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment