Friday, August 02, 2013

196.6; Friday Fives - BBQ Sauce Recipe Edition

1.  The days are getting monotonous.  But it's amazing what tires me out.  Just a 30 minute ride in the car with a couple of errands results in a nap.  I've been sleeping in bed this week.  It's frustratingly hard to do and I wake up sore and uncomfortable after about 5-6 hours. 

2.  I've been doing more and more myself.  But I have to be resourceful.  I used the  BBQ tongs to reach down and get my clothes out of the washer to get them into the dryer.  I swear I washed them afterwards.

3.  I've been almost totally off the pain meds (other than a few here and there) for a week.  It's a good thing.

4.  I have this urge to drive.  This is the longest I've not driven a vehicle since probably I was in college and didn't have a car.  I have the clearance from the doctor to drive short distances, maybe 15-20 minutes.  But I swear Pete's about ready to hide the car keys at the mere mention of me driving.

5.  BBQ Sauce Recipe.  I make my own so that I can tweak it how I want it.

1/2 cup Chili Sauce
3/4 cup ketchup (find one without HFCS)
2/3 cup molasses
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 T worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons ground, dry mustard
3 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon powdered garlic
1 teaspoon powdered black pepper
1/2 teaspoon siracha sauce

This is a cold processed  sauce, meaning you don't cook it.  I mix it all in a medium bowl with a whisk.  Then I put it into the squeeze bottles and let it sit on the counter.  As it sits at room temp, the flavors blend and give it a wonderful sweet start and spicy/warm finish.  I adapted the sauce from here.  Pete and I usually use this up in a couple of weeks and we keep it in the fridge after the first use.  Couple of hints:  1. Use any spices to flavor it differently - for a Mexican flare, add cumin and chili powder - for Asian, replace the vinegar with rice wine vinegar and the worcestershire with soy.  2.  Any dry spices need to be powdered or blended in the blender/stick blender so that they fit through the spout of the squeeze bottle.  Or it's very frustrating. 3.  Try to find the sauces used that have less ingredients, no HFCS and more organic.

No comments:

Post a Comment