Monday, August 12, 2013

195.8: Balancing Back to Normal

Last Wednesday (8/7) was 4 weeks since surgery.  Last Monday (8/5), my supervisor called asking when I thought I'd be back.  I had to take a pause.  My doctor's note indicates 6-8 weeks with an additional 2 weeks of part time before I transition back to full time.

I told him that I honestly didn't know.  There are hours where I think, hey I could do that computer stuff and work.  And there are several days like this previous weekend, when I'm not sleeping and in pain and trying to sleep every few hours.  I have no idea where I'll be in 4 weeks.  I may need some additional time or additional part time to be able to return.

On Friday Pete and I went to my Grandma's house, a place of comfort and caring, so he could help her with a new computer.  In the 4 hours that we were there, I fell asleep twice for about 30 minutes each.  When we got home at 3pm, I fell asleep almost instantly and slept hard for 3 hours.  Clearly, I'm currently in no shape for lengthy trips out of the house.

The fallout of course, is that my need for sleep to recover is really screwing with my insomnia that I normally suffer with.  So I slept on Friday afternoon because my body obviously needed it.  In return I slept 11 hours over the weekend with no naps.  My insomnia flared and I ended up having to take Ambien last night to get a full night's sleep.

So I need to rethink this plan of mine for recovery.  I need to start shooting for balancing my recovery needs with my usual needs and strive for "normal" again.  I'm finding it's not so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment