Monday, July 08, 2013

194.5; I Got Biker Married

Thursday Pete and I packed up the camper and the bike and rode out of town.
Trailer packed with a bear for the kids we pass to wave at.
We travelled about 3 hours south to Algona, IA.  The Abate Freedom Rally.  A true biker rally, the kind you think about when you think bikers and the kind you see on TV.  Lots of good people watching for Pete and I.  He doesn't drink at all and I have a beer every month or so.  Neither of us is into public nudity.  But we are into seeing the different bikes, the contests, the bands and watching others get crazy.

Me; all "bikered" up.  My coworkers wouldn't recognize me!
Listening to a band the first night.
I had a great time.  It was hot, sunny and perfect weather.  It was also the best distraction ever.  I thought about surgery a couple of times, but mostly just tried to relax and hold Pete's hand a lot.

We also got biker married.  An organization called Christian Motorcycle Association helps out at the rally every year.  And this year, 2 months shy of our 5th wedding anniversary and the week before this life altering surgery, it seemed appropriate for Pete and I to recommit ourselves to each other.  We didn't renew vows, because they still stand.  They never left.  We recommitted ourselves to each other with the same ideas of marriage as before.  It's here to stay for both of us, through good and bad.


Pete and I before the service.

Pastor Carey talking about how important it is to remember why we got married in the first place and to keep those ideas in our hearts.

Praying over us.  I cried.

I cried I in the service, holding Pete's hand.  Pastor Carey was talking about being together in all times, loving and supporting each other.  It was as if he knew that I was going to be having some hard times and wanted to remind us that this is all part of it.


Recommitted!  Yay!
I know it's hard to see, but I have a necklace on in the last photo.  It's beaded with a silver wedding cake, ring and heart.  Pete asked about having a ceremony the day before when I was taking a nap.  So the CMA's had no idea until then, that we wanted to do this.  At the end of the ceremony, the pastor brought out that necklace.  He relayed that not even an hour prior, a woman who volunteers for the rally had come up to him and asked if someone was getting married.  She wanted the bride to have this necklace.  I cried again.  It was like the world had spoken about Pete and I and our journey.  It was as though God was telling me that I'd be ok and Pete would be ok also.

So here I am, committed for life and a little more ready to face this surgery.

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle
    My husband did the music at your ceremony so we will continue to pray for you this week. We, as Christian Motorcyclists Association members feel privileged that you would allow us to be part of your life journey. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete