Tuesday, March 12, 2013

187.6: Protein

I'm determined that one day the scale at the doctor's office will match my scale at home.  Although I'm guessing that the doctor's office frowns on nakedness in the hallways.  But I would wear one of those paper gowns that barely covers my midsection and has no ties. 

3/21/13 marks 1 year since my surgery.  I have lots of updates and photos planned for next week.  3/22/13 is my 43rd birthday.  I am freaking O.L.D. 

So the CDC recommends that women over 19 consume 46 grams of protein a day.  It's been a while since I logged food, but I did it for the last few days to check out where I'm at.  I'm averaging about 30 grams a day.  Much less than what I should be getting.  And in talking with the nutritionist, it may be the cause of my want to snack between meals.

So I'm on a mission to get more protein.  First, she suggested that I drink a protein shake before working out.  She is concerned that my workout comes after 8 hours of fasting while I'm sleeping.  Good in theory, not so good in practice.  I'm up at 4:30am to get to the gym.  I'm barely awake, let alone willing to eat.  Prior to surgery I'd eat 1/2 a LaraBar or 1/2 a banana before working out and the other half when I was done.  But after surgery I realized that my band wasn't going to let me eat early - it needed to warm up and relax. 

So this morning I used Pete's Body by Vi mix to make myself a protein shake:  1 scoop of shake mix for 6 grams, 2 Tblsp PB2 for 5 grams and 1 cup soy chocolate milk for 5 grams = total 16 grams.  Mixed it up and sat in the kitchen trying to drink.  It went down slowly - over about 15 minutes.  I headed to the gym and by the time I got there 10 minutes later my tummy was not happy.  I ended up walking for 40 minutes because my stomach was so upset that I couldn't bounce while running.  No good.

So now what?  Pete suggested just trying 1/2 cup soy milk and then a protein shake after working out for breakfast instead of my oatmeal or with my oatmeal (it's only 100 calories).  I don't know what I'll do, but it's got to be something different.  I'm also focusing on protein my meals and snacks.  I had the shake for breakfast/workout this morning and my mid morning snack was a hard boiled egg.  I have fruit and some cheese for an afternoon snack if I feel I need it.

Are you getting enough protein?

No comments:

Post a Comment