Thursday, February 28, 2013

191; Day 28; Mile a Day

Let's just say that I believe that I am a Mile A Day Failure.  But that it's ok.

In the last year or so I've seen people try to keep a running streak over a month.  Trying to get so many miles in every day.  I kept thinking that it sounded cool and that I could do that.

Well.  Not so much.

Running everyday, no matter if it's a mile or more, is hard on your body. 

First of all there is the fact that I have to get my ass out of bed at 4:30am to get to the gym EVERY WORK DAY so that I can get it done and get home to get ready for work.  Now I like working out in the morning, but holy crap...every day?  No.  Then the weekends started turning into me being at the gym at 6am when it opened.  That meant 5:30 on Saturday AND Sunday.  Talk about no rest for the weary.  I was strong until 2/24/13 when my niece and nephew stayed the night.  I just could not get my ass out of bed at 5:30 so I could get to the gym and home before they woke up.

Secondly, it's hard on your body.  Your body naturally needs rest days.  Every training regimen has rest days.  Every single one.  Your body needs time to recover and running or walking hard every day doesn't allow the body to recover.  I never felt very strong to run more than a mile and running a 5K was a struggle.  I hated that.

So I ended up running 22/28 days in February for a total of   miles.

All that said...I'd encourage anyone to try it.  See how far you can take your body.  Just be honest about what you can do and plan your month accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment