Monday, May 07, 2012

212.2; Chewing 40 times

In this post I challenged you to spend some time chewing your food.  I mean really chewing your food.  If you search, you can find many articles about this, like MSNBC Articles

They consumed about 12 percent fewer calories when they chewed each bite 40 times than when they chewed 15 times, and they had lower levels of ghrelin, the so-called hunger hormone produced in the stomach.
Or this list in FitWatch.

#1 – Chew your food 20 times before swallowing. Chewing does several things it breaks down the food into smaller pieces which means the digestion system can get more nutrients out of it. Chewing also takes time. The longer you take to eat, the less likely you are to overeat.#2 – Put your fork down between bites. Slowing down the rate at which you eat is good. Putting the fork down makes you conscious of how much you’re eating as opposed to using the fork like a steam shovel.
Although I don't agree with the drinking in between bites, I do agree with the 2 items listed above.  Meals shouldn't be a race.  You're either eating to fuel your body or or enjoy the food or both.  Take the time to really feel and taste the food you're putting in your body.  Be mindful of the food that you eat.  Feeling full takes about 20 minutes to register with your brain.  Chewing your food slowly and putting your fork down makes feeling full register when it should instead of registering only after you're stuffed to the gills.

So did you chew slowly and purposely?  Did you feel fuller while doing do?  If you skipped my challenge, I'm going to issue it again.  You don't have to do it at dinner with your family.  The next time you're eating a meal alone, try it.

1 comment:

  1. I try to take time chewing, but there is a serious miss-communication happening with my brain/mouth/stomach.

    Slowing down would do me a lot of good, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete