Wednesday, May 23, 2012

208.0; The Color Black

When you're heavy, black is your favorite color.  I loved black.  It's slimming.  It's a constant.  It pairs with almost anything.  I had several black shirts, sweatshirts and long sleeved shirts that I loved.  I had several pairs of black pants that I loved. 

Black was a big part of my wardrobe, even in the summer.  And while I think that tan capri pants and a black top is classic, it wasn't what I dreamed of.  I dreamed of this:


Something nautical and summery.  But I knew that I could never pull it off and still blend into the background.  After all, that's what my friend, the color black helped me do. 

Last week I was going through my 4 pairs of capri pants and my 5 or 6 tops and I realized that I owned no black tops.  How was this?  How did this happen?  Black is my staple, it's my friend and I had none of it to wear.  Oh sure, I had black capri pants, but nothing in black on top.

Then I realized, I wasn't subconsciously ALWAYS choosing black when I shopped.  I think that it became so ingrained for me to chose black in a top ALL THE TIME, that I had a hard time seeing other colors.  In fact, I had a lot of black tops that I donated to the local charity in my bags of clothes.  Now, I realized that I was choosing hot pink, coral & white, purples and greens and even light blues.  I'm choosing what I like and if I don't absolutely love it, I'm not buying it.  I'm not buying it because I DO have other options.

So did I go and buy that outfit up there?  No.  Not yet.  But I intend to when my pants size goes down 1 more size so it will last be a bit longer.  I did buy a pair of white capri pants.  I don't think I've EVER owned a pair of white pants.  You know what else I did?  I bought a black top.  It's a knit wrap top that hugs my new found shape.  And I bought it because I like it.  And it's the only black top that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment