Tuesday, April 10, 2012

213: Runner's High

Monday morning I went to the gym for my work out.  4:40am my alarm goes off and I get up, get dressed and head out the door.  Pete and I got to the gym and my heart rate monitor wasn't working.  I stepped off the treadmill to figure it out, not knowing that when the treadmill doesn't sense movement, it stops.  Frustrated, I started the treadmill again after getting my hear rate monitor working.  This wasn't turning out to be a very good day.

But then something happened.  When I restarted the treadmill and started running.  And didn't stop.  I ran a full mile (about 14 minutes) without stopping.  Holy crap.  I can run a mile.  So I kept going.  My legs didn't hurt, I didn't really hear what was going on around me, my body just kept going.  Ahhhh, runner's high!  I found it!  This is what I've been waiting for since December.  I found it.

I ended up running about 1.6 miles with a .05 mile break just after a mile.  Then I had some issues with my wardrobe that brought me back to reality.  I couldn't continue on the treadmill and ended up on a machine that is both a stairstepper and elliptical, depending on how quickly you move.  I started 30 minutes of elliptical on it and kept moving.  This thing was kicking my butt!  What was a disappointment turn of events made me realize that I need to do some different cardio that the treadmill all the time.  I need to remember that.

Halfway though the 30 minutes Pete came over and checked on me and then kept doing what he was doing.  When I got done and walked over to him he was smiling.  I asked him what the smile was for.  He told me that my body is really changing.  I smiled back and said thanks.  He again smiled and told me that my body was really changing.  He went on to tell me that he left me at the treadmill and went to do his thing.  When he was done he went back to the treadmill, but by that time I was gone.  He said that he swept the gym 3 times before he finally recognized me on the other machine.  MY HUSBAND DIDN'T RECOGNIZE ME!  Can you just imagine how large my smile was when he said that?  it was HUGE!  Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since surgery.  I'll have him take photos to post on Thursday with my progress.


  1. Just stumbled upon your blog, and I like it! Very motivating. A new follower I am :)

  2. Awesome! Glad you found it.

  3. Anonymous6:07 PM

    Good on you for the mile without stopping.