Monday, April 09, 2012

212.4: Easter Fail

I really failed at my eating this weekend.

Friday my 9 year old niece and I spent the day making Easter goodies.  Honestly, when I am baking I want nothing of the treats.  The day I spend baking I usually hardly eat anything at all.  So Friday wasn't that off.  I made a bad decision to eat some of her pizza rolls, but the rest of the day was on track with eating and I did 1000 calories in running & Body Pump that morning. 

Saturday we got up and the kids and I went swimming.  I really didn't burn much so I can't count it as exercise, but we played for an hour.  Then we went home and Pete cooked scrambled eggs, bacon and toast for breakfast.  I had 1.5 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon and a half a bagel thin.  Not bad.  Then we went to my sister's house for Easter dinner with my family. 

FAIL!

I ate a small green salad shortly after we got there.  About an hour later we had dinner complete with ham, these awesomely cheesy potatoes, augratin potatoes, rutabaga, green beans, asparagus, fresh bread and other things.  I purposely took a small plate from the cabinet and only used that.  I had a small piece of ham, beans, asparagus, some rutabaga and half a piece of bread.  Not bad.  I ate slowly and didn't drink afterwards for more than 30 minutes.

But then I sat around talking to my family.  And as we talked, I had a couple of small pieces of banana cake, a cake pop, a small piece of chocolate brownie, 12 jelly beans.  And when I realized that I was grazing I stopped.  But by this time I was full.  Really full.  Like it hurt full.  So I got my niece and we took the dog for a walk.  It was so windy that she didn't want to stay out long, but we walked for about half a mile.  Still I didn't feel better.  After about an hour of sitting in the living room watching baseball, I started to feel better. 

Guess what I did?  I returned to the kitchen where people were talking.  Suddenly I found myself wanting to snack again.  This time I learned my lesson.  I started snacking on fruit.  I figured if I was going to do it, it would be something healthy. 

Pete and I talked a lot that night about how to handle holidays.  Our holidays seem so centered on food that I need to develop a plan to stop the grazing.  I really really wish I could have worked out that morning, but I had the kids.  I think that when I work out my metabolism is higher and I'm less hungry.  I'm also proud of the work that I did and less likely to destroy it by overeating.  But I also need to figure out ways to stop the grazing.  Maybe having a code word between Pete and I that we say when we find each other doing it.  (He does it too!)  Maybe I wear my One Bite, One Decision hot pink bracelet on my right write to remind me when I brink that to my mouth that I shouldn't be doing that. 

I know I need to do something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment