Thursday, March 08, 2012

223; Fake It 'Til You Make It

I have to admit that my the time Tuesday rolled around my whole body was tired.  For the last 3 weeks (other than a day off each week) I had been doing one of three things:  1. Jogging on the treadmill for an hour (800 calories)  2. Walking on the treadmill for an hour (500 calories)  3. Walking on the treadmill for 45 minutes and then Body Pump for 50 minutes (900 calories).  My legs haven't yet grown accustomed to jogging so much and are tired all day long.  They don't hurt, they're just so tired that by the 5th step in a flight of stairs I can feel it.

So when I woke up Tuesday I decided to skip the gym.  My thought was that I could use a rest day and I'd pick up again Wednesday to continue my workouts.  Pete did the same thing.

Wednesday my alarm went off at 4:30am and I think I turned it off.  But then Pete's shoving to get me to stop snoring, along with the dog's backflopping body against my back woke me up.  I got up, weighed myself and started getting dressed.  I asked Pete if he was going to the gym and he hesitated.  I told him that he doesn't have to go with me (which he tells me all the time too).  But he got dressed and off we went.

As I was driving I realized that I had no motovation what.so.ever!  None.  Here I had worked my butt off to get to weight and complete all the other things so I could qualify fro surgery and now I had no motivation.  I was a little irritated at myself and wondered why?  Then I figured it out.  I had no motivation because I had no deadline to beat.  After a few minutes I realized that was really the reason why I didn't want to go to the gym.

So what did I do?  I told Pete.  I told him I didn't want to go.  I told him I had lost my motivation that had been pushing me for the last 6 weeks.  I told him I was irritated about it.  I told him that my goal was to be down to 220 at the time of surgery in 14 days.  Easy reachable at the pace I set for myself.  Then I told him that my CHOICE was to "Fake It Until I Make It".

What does that mean?  It means that I pretended to like jogging Wednesday morning.  I pretended that I liked going to the gym at 5am on Wednesday morning.  I pretended that I was happy to be at the gym sweating Wednesday morning.  And you know what?  By the end of the 60 minutes jogging, I did like it.  I enjoyed the sweat.  I enjoyed the accomplishment of completing 4 miles.  I enjoyed running next to Pete.  I did it until I liked it.

Yay for choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment