Thursday, July 21, 2011

Look Where You Want to Go

2.5 years ago Pete signed me up for motorcycle class.  It was actually my Valentine's gift and a lovely one at that.  In the weeks leading up to it I tried to figure out ways to get out of it, but still get my motorcycle endorsement for my drivers license.  The week came and I hadn't thought of anything so I went to the first class.  It was ok.  I was nervous (as with any new situation), a loner and stayed to myself.  Thankfully there were no group projects...at least none that I remember.

The second night of class was great.  I was a bit more confident and proud of myself for completing the book work.  Hell, I could just get my endorsement, right?  Nope.  Still had to do the actual learning how to ride a motorcycle and pass the road test.  Saturday brought sun, but cold.  I dressed warm and as I was leaving, I admitted to Pete that I was more nervous to do this class than I was to get married.  I don't know if that means I have no fears of marriage with Pete or if I was just terrified of learning to ride.  Either one, he sent me out the door to my class.

I got there and learned that I wasn't the only one who had NEVER ridden.  I started in and actually ended up doing very well.  Out of the 15 people, I was the highest scoring woman and I score higher than some of the guys.  A few of them came up to me during class and told me that I made it look easy.  After I picked my bottom jaw up off the wet pavement, I smiled and thanked them.  On the inside I was screaming, "IF YOU ONLY KNEW!"

Why am I telling you all this?  Well I rode my motorcycle last night.  After Pete and I ate dinner I had a narrow turn around to get off the cement (where kickstands don't melt into as they do on blacktop) and onto the service road.  When that happens I remind myself "Look where you want to go, not where you are."

Look where you want to go, not where you are.

Light bulb moment.  Yes, I remember that I need to take this day by day.  I remember that I need to focus on the here and now and not worry so much about what will happen in the future.  However, I need to look where I want to be each day.  Instead of lamenting the fact that I have gained 10 pounds in the last couple of months, I need to focus on what I can accomplish my the end of today to reach that lofty goal of additional weight loss.  Exercise, healthy food choices and portions, more water, better sleep and whatever else I figure out.

It seems so simple, but yet it took me a while to realize this.

No comments:

Post a Comment