Saturday, February 05, 2011

I'm full out jealous

And I'm going to admit it.

Pete's clothes are too big on him.  I'm full out jealous of that.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy as can be for him.  He's worked hard, sometimes too hard, to get to this point.  He came down the stairs in a sweatshirt that I got him last Christmas.  It was swinging on him around the waist.  I told him that the sweatshirt is getting big.  And I love the smile on his face as I said that.  You could tell that he appreciated the compliment.

But inside?  Inside me was jealousy.  I want that too big feeling.  I want to see results like he is seeing.  I'm working, but not like him.  I'm doing 2-3 days of weights and 2-3 days of cardio.  I'm also not limiting my food intake at breakfast & lunch to cereal and milk only.  I'm also not working out 2 hours a day to the tune of 1000 calories burned.

Different.  I need to remember that he is going to see big results with the way that he is working.  I'm going to see smaller results.  And I do see results.  It's not that I don't.  If I'm honest with myself I want the big results, but I can't do a plan like that.  I won't do a plan like that because it sets me up for failure later in life when I can't sustain it.  I need to remember this post in the future after he has his surgery, because it will be like this for a long time.

So, inside I'm jealous, outside I'm happy and tomorrow is another day to work out and make good choices for me.

3 comments:

  1. Although it's great that he's making good progress (my husband loses weight without doing anything much at all...grrr), you're absolutely right not to compare.

    Put your blinders on and do whatever you need to do for you. You are right about doing a lot - it can spell burnout and then backlash (ie regaining the weight).

    It sounds like you know what you're doing and what you can sustain.

    The long, slow road is a tough one, but it is the way to long-lasting changes.

    Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Sometimes the confirmation of what I'm doing is the boost I need to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try not to get too down about it. You're right - you ARE doing things differently and will see the weight loss differently than Pete. My husband (Jay) loses weight SO much quicker than I do, and it can be discouraging at times. But keep on keepin' on. Just do the right things and you WILL see results!! :)

    ReplyDelete