Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The bet.

I think I was about 12 or so and in the car with my Dad. We were discussing the President and the election. Being the idealist that I am, I asked why there was no female President. My Dad explained that the country probably had reservations about a female leader.

We discussed this for quite a while and I think my Dad was trying to let me down gently. Trying to tell me that I could reach whatever heights I wanted. That I shouldn't let anything stop me. But, to remember that outside influences still sometimes prevail over my dreams.

At any rate, we made a bet. It came because my Dad commented that there would be an African American President before there was a woman President. I bet him $100 that there would be a woman President by the time I was 18.

Yes. I know. Idealism at 12. And naive because there was only 2 elections that could occur by then.

Well there was no woman President. And no African American President.

Until last night.

Whether you voted for him or not, be proud of the leaps and bounds that our country has gone through so that this day has come. This day where we still reach for equality for everyone. EVERYONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment