Thursday, November 06, 2008

Letting go...


My Grandma is 94. She's an amazing woman. The things tht she has lived through will continue to amaze me for years. She took care of her father and the household after her mother was in a hospital. She lived through hard hard times. Kept up the same house for her husband, my Grandpa. We'd sit in wonder at her ability to make bread without a recipe becuse she'd done it for so long.
She's living a long and hopefully fulfilling life.
But she is back in the hospital. She has what is probably lukemia, but isn't willing to go through the tests to make sure. She's got issues with her organs shutting down. And I think she's just tired.
Which leads me to where I am in all this. When I was in college I spent 1.5 years going to funerals. Loved ones and very good friends. It was a hellish year. No other way to explain it. I sat it wondered who would die next. Then, it stopped. And I really haven't been to the funeral of a loved one or close friend until Pete's Dad died in April. So just thinking about this is hard.
She told my Dad last night that she just wanted to die in her sleep. And to be clear, she was sharp as a tack and said that she wanted to die last night specifically. So while I'd love for her to be around forever, I need to let go so that she can do what is best for her.
So, to Grandma Laura, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment