Thursday, September 11, 2008

Please remember

I've had this saved in my work PC for 7 years. Each year I open it up, read it and slowly take in the magnitude of how our world changed on that day. Not just that we lost so many lives. Not just that we are at war with what seems to be so many 'invisible' people. But the economy, the way people travel, the lost innocence.

A Chronology of Tuesday's Events
  1. 7:55 a.m. American Airlines Flight 11 leaves Boston bound for Los Angeles
  2. 8:00 a.m. United Airlines Flight 93 departs Newark bound for San Francisco
  3. 8:10 a.m. American Airlines Flight 77 departs Washington bound for Los Angeles
  4. 8:15 a.m. United Airlines Flight 175 departs Boston bound for Los Angeles
  5. 8:46 a.m. American Airlines Flight 11 strikes the north tower of the World Trade Center
  6. 8:55 a.m. According to wire reports, President Bush, who is in Sarasota, Fla., is informed of the attacks
  7. 9:03 a.m. United Airlines Flight 175 strikes the south tower of the World Trade Center
  8. 9:15 a.m. President Bush makes statement condemning terrorist attack
  9. 9:25 a.m. FAA shuts down all New York City area airports
  10. 9:35 a.m. All bridges and tunnels in the Manhattan area closed
  11. 9:40 a.m. FAA halts all flight operations at U.S. airports
  12. 9:55 a.m. American Airlines Flight 77 hits Pentagon
  13. 10:05 a.m. The south tower of the World Trade Center collapses
  14. 10:05 a.m. President Bush leaves Sarasota; White House evacuated
  15. 10:15 a.m. A portion of the Pentagon collapses
  16. 10:24 a.m. The FAA reports all inbound transatlantic aircraft are being diverted to Canada
  17. 10:25 a.m. United Airlines Flight 93 crashed in Somerset County, 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh
  18. 10:27 a.m. The World Trade Center's north tower collapses
  19. 10.46 a.m. U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell cuts short his trip to Latin America to return to the
    United States
  20. 10:53 a.m. New York's primary elections scheduled for today are postponed
  21. 10:55 a.m. Financial Markets closed in New York
  22. 11:02 a.m. New York Mayor Rudy W. Giuliani urges citizens to stay at home or work and orders an
    evacuation of the area south of Canal Street
  23. 11:15 a.m. U.N. headquarters in New York is fully evacuated
  24. 12:04 p.m. Los Angeles International Airport, the destination of three of the hijacked American Airlines
    flights, is evacuated
  25. 12:25 p.m. San Francisco International Airport is evacuated and shut down
  26. 1:04 p.m. President Bush speaks from Barksdale Airforce Base in Louisiana
  27. 1:45 p.m. Pentagon announces that warships and aircraft carriers will take up positions in the New
    York and Washington areas
  28. 8:30 p.m. President Bush addresses nation from White House

I'll admit that day was hard for me. I was living with my Grandma, however, she was on a trip to Europe while this happened and I was alone. I really didn't have anyone to process what was in my head and it stayed there. For quite some time. I slept on the couch with the doors locked and the windows covered. I had the TV on all the time. I didn't want to see it over and over but I couldn't bear the thought that I was missing out on something. I had lots of sleepless nights. Nights where I begged for sleep to come.

In the time since then I have changed. But then agian, who hasn't? Whether or not you were emotionally effected, your life has changed. We need to rememeber this day, the people that lost their lives and that our world isn't all roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment