Thursday, May 29, 2008

Dinner Ride

Up until a few months ago, if I had seen a big group of bikes on the road, I'd have thought they were a biker 'gang'. Why? Mostly because of television and movies and general perception of bikers. And because I never really knew anyone who rode a motorcycle.

Last night we went to the local Harley dealer and met for dinner. I was excited. I'm facinated by the dynamics of groups of people. When Pete and I ride down the road, bikers give hand signals in acknowledgement of each other. Usually Pete's left hand is down in almost a 'give me 5' kind of way at his left side when he passes a biker.

There weren't very may bikes there when we got there. When it was time to leave, there were probably 30 bikes. All Harleys and all beautiful. The signal was given to ride out and all the bikes started and it was almost musical. The riders were in various Harely outfits and jackets. Som had half helmets, but mostly no helmets.

We started out and were in the front of the pack. Next time I'm going to ask Pete to stay to the back. I want to see the line of bikes as we ride. I really need to get a small camera. I was dying to get pictures as we were riding of the bikers and I'm facinated with the shoadow that Pete and I create on the bike. Somehow I'm going to get a picture of that.

The back got everything from waves from people, honks from cars/trucks, to wonder from little boys and interested, but wary looks from others. It felt good to be part of a group that people notice. I now understand the pull of it. Why people do it. And I can't wait for more.

We met some nice couples that ride in the dinners and various other things. I'm hoping that we get more involved with the people there for more rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment