Tuesday, March 04, 2008

My Dad called...

My Dad called yeterday. He actually called home and when I didn't answer he called my cell. Now you have to realize that my parents rarely call my cell. Anyway, he called my cell and left a message. In in he made a point of saying that my Mom wasn't home yet so give him a call. Then he said that he didn't know if my Mom had called to let me know that they would be at my birthday dinner or not, but he was calling to let me know that they would. Then he went on to say that he found a pistol that he actually likes & wants to buy. He was excited to turn in his paperwork.

Listening to the message, I tried to decipher what it meant. I mean, that's what we do right? Words don't always just mean what they mean. Sometimes there is meaning behind the word or sentence, almost like a special code or clue. Actually I listened to it several times. I took away from it that he wanted to talk to me when my Mom wasn't there. Something that I've often thought of doing myself, but never have. I think that the gun talk is his way of starting the process to reconnect with me and with Pete. Afterall, shooting is something we three did together and talked about a lot.

I think it's a step in the right direction.

I talked to Pete about it last night. I tried to explain that my family works differently than his. That I can't tell him what to do. Although I'd like it if things weren't made worse by fighting. In the end I suggested that he take my Dad aside and discuss calmly what happened and ask him how he feels about him. I also told him he would have to be the one to bring it up as my Dad would likely just go past it without addressing it.

I am hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment