Monday, April 08, 2013

190; Getting Serious

Pete and I survived over the summer of 2008.  I was planning the wedding on my own and doing everything.  Pete was mourning his father and dealing with all the stuff that happens after a parent is gone.

In September Pete and I said our I Do's.


Look how happy we were! I remember going in for my last fitting and the seamstress telling me that I had lost weight because she had to take it in a bit again and I had to go back right before the wedding to pick it up.  But in all honesty, I hadn't lost anything.  Because I wasn't doing anything.  Neither was Pete.

After the wedding stuff settled down I talked Pete into joining a different no frills gym.  I figured that this was the way we started before so let's do it again.  Only he did it because I asked him to, not because he wanted to.  And I had no motivation or conviction to go either.  I think we paid for about 6 months of late 2008 and early 2009 and went a total of 6 times. 

I remember that I bought this beautiful flowy blue shirt to wear at Christmas 2009.  I remember that I had to buy a larger size jean.  I was back up to size 24 jeans and 2X shirts.  But I felt more in fashion and better about myself.  Christmas Eve came and I could hardly walk on my right knee.  A slave to fashion I wore my high heeled boots and limped the entire day.

When it wasn't better after New Years I made an appointment with my doctor.  She took an xray and found nothing.  She suggested that I see an orthopaedic surgeon.  I remember that they showed me to the exam room and gave me a pair of paper shorts to put on while he examined me.  Only the shorts didn't fit.  They were the largest size and they didn't fit.  I was ashamed.

After the MRI I went back to see the surgeon, only this time I wore my own shorts.  He told me that I had worn a divot out of my knee cap and had arthritis pretty badly in the knee.  I wasn't a candidate for surgery yet, but he guessed that I'd have a knee replacement by the time I was 45-50.  I was 39 at the time.  39.

I went to physical therapy and did the exercises and my knee improved.  And by the end of January 2010 I joined the YMCA.  I pulled Pete along with me, begrudgingly. 

(Thank you for following my story!)

No comments:

Post a Comment