Monday, September 10, 2012

196.8; Random Thoughts About Clothes

1.  I went shopping this weekend for clothes.  I had to donate all of my fall/winter clothing as of last spring because it was way to big then.  It would have had me swimming in them now.  I'm a 14 or size large in most pants/jeans.  I am a medium/large in tops.  I'm being choosy when it comes to buying clothes.  I don't have to buy just because it fits, I buy because I truly LOVE it.  I buy with layering in mind, not to cover flaws, but to make sure that the item works in more than one way and I get use out of it.

2.  I went shopping this weekend for clothes.  I struggle with feeling so overwhelmed in clothing stores.  These are the things that I never would have imagined would occur.  When I was a teenager, my Mom complained that I would stand at a store's entrance, peer in and proclaim that there was nothing in there for me.  I think that it was partly that I wasn't aware of my body and how to dress it and partly it was being a difficult teen.  Now I stand at the entrance and almost want to give up because I have no idea where to start.  I ended up telling the store employees that I lost weight and had no idea what size or style pant would fit me.  The kid (when did they start letting children work? lol) at Gap, had no idea to help me, other than suggest skin tight, skinny jeans - which clearly are not my style, despite the fact that they are in style.  The lady at Banana Republic was awesomely helpful.  I ended up with no pants because I am in between sizes.  But I had a better idea of what to look for in a few weeks.

3.  I went shopping this weekend for clothes.  Losing weight is expensive.  Yes, the clothing that fits me is usually lower priced because it's not "extended sizes".  However, as I said before, I had to ditch my whole wardrobe.  Aside from a couple of sweatshirts that are broken in and comfy (but almost comically large), I have nothing in my closet that I did in March.  Underwear, bras, workout clothes, casual every day clothes, work clothes, jeans, motorcycle riding clothes, winter clothes, falls/winter/spring jackets...all have been replaced or need to be bought yet.  While losing the bulk of the weight I tried to be frugal and purchase from clearance racks and sales and honestly - Walmart.  Now that I'm getting closer to my goal weight, I'm trying to think about whether or not I can swear it snug right now and potentially a little loose in the future.  If the answer is yes, I'm willing to spend a bit more on the item.

4.  I went shopping this weekend for shoes.  I bet you thought I was going to say clothes again?  In the past I went through shoes like water.  I walked funny on my feet and would wear out soles pretty darn quickly.  So I would buy cheep shoes every season and then toss them.  But a couple of things have happened.  One is that I'm not wearing out soles as quickly so my gait must have changed or is changing.  Two is that my feet are shrinking.  They're not as wide or tall (the part between my sole and the top of my foot).  I need smaller sizes in some shoes.  Three is that my freakishly large calves now fit into tall boots.  (I can't wait to find some boots and shirts to wear this fall/winter.  A phrase I thought you'd never hear me say...EVER.)  I'm thinking more in line of buying shoes that will last and be an investment for several seasons/years.

Now my question to you...I donated my old wardrobe and didn't think about donating the costume jewelry that went with the outfits.  Should I donate the things that I don't wear or keep them and hope that I can work them in?  (I'm kind of in a purging/donating mood - can you tell?)

No comments:

Post a Comment