Wednesday, August 01, 2012

205.2; My Other Confession

I stopped going to the gym for 3 weeks. 

I burned out.

I get really really good streaks in me where I'm at the gym 5 or 6 days a week and I feel great.  But then something happens and I burn out.  My days end up looking like this:

4:40am:  up and get ready for the gym/drive to gym
5am:  workout for an hour
6:15: home; make coffee and get lunch from fridge
6:30:  shower and ready for work
7:15: leave for work
7:30:  arrive at work
work for 8-12 hours depending on the day
6pm:  (generally) home
6:15 start dinner
6:30:  eat dinner
7:00:  do odd jobs, laundry, small cleaning,
9:00 head to bed to watch the news and talk with Pete
10pm:  sleep

When you start to add in things like working 10-12 hour days so I can take Fridays off.  Heading out of town every Friday to camp with the club.  Family gatherings on weekends...  I start to burn out.  Not just from the gym, but from life it's self.  When that happens I shut down.  I shut everything down.  All I want to do is take a day where I'm supposed to be somewhere and lay in bed watching reality TV and reading in between naps.

Slowly I start to add things back in again.  Working longer days, activities, date nights.  But it seems as though things need to be fully on track again for me to add the gym.  I'm aware that I'd likely start feeling much better, much quicker if I even started to add 1 day a week to my schedule.  But I resist and tell myself that I don't have time.  It's my flawed thinking.  Because reality is that I have time for anything that I see important.

So I'm back to the gym.  Up 2 days in a row and running on that treadmill.  Suffice it to say I don't think I'm running any races this year.  But it's my goal to run next year.  I would like to just try to run a 10K on my own like I did the 5K, to see if I can do it.  Small steps though; I'm just hoping for 5/7 days at the gym this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment