Wednesday, August 08, 2012

202.0; Going on Vacation

In a few weeks my whole family is going on vacation together.  We're renting cabins in a resort.  I'm pretty excited about it.  This is the first vacation I've had in about 2 years.  The rest of my time off work has been a day here or there.  I can't wait to take my Nook to the beach and relax.  In fact, I've been saving books and magazines on it.

Naturally we started talking about what to eat while we're there.  We're going to share dinners, be on our own for lunches and somehow breakfast is shared again.

Even before we started talking about food I had decided to get a bunch of fruit and veggies and make a couple of trays that we could snack from during the week.  I wanted to have fresh food available so I'm not miss crabby pants from eating crap.  Pete and I agreed that this was a great plan.

When my family started talking about breakfasts, it's a lot of egg bake, french toast bake, danish ring kind of things.  And honestly my first thought was "All I want is my oatmeal or yogurt and some fruit."  But I didn't say anything because I can get that kind of stuff on my own.  And who would have thought a few years ago that I would turn down sugary French toast for oatmeal and fruit?

Lunches are easy.  I'm going to use the fruit and veggies to make sure I'm getting some good stuff in.  Then maybe add some tuna salad and some lunch meat for simple sandwiches.  I will admit that I'm making banana bread, some smores bars and likely some other kind of bar cookie to bring up for everyone.

Dinners are things like ham and potatoes, steak and potatoes, chicken/ribs and potatoes, burgers and chips.  Meat and carbs.  When I look at it, I want to add green salads, veggies and fruit to round out the meals.  I think I can make those pretty healthy.

I think this is just another example of how I used to eat and how I eat now.  I love the change and hope that it doesn't cause conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment