Thursday, June 14, 2012

207.6; White Beans With Pork and Sausage

This is my favorite recipe lately.  There is something about the thyme and the celery seed with the tomatoes and the meat.  YUM!  This will make about 4-6 servings for Pete and I.

Country Style Pork and White Beans With Sausage

8 ounces dried white beans
8 ounces boneless prok ribs, cut into 2 inch chunks
8 ounces hot chicken sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup diced onion
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp celery seed
2 bay leaves
Chicken broth 1-2 cups

24 hours before starting to cut, rinse and pick through the dried beans.  You want to get rid of any weird looking ones or stones.  Then place in a bowl with cool water to cover the beans.  If you notice that the water isn't sufficently covering them any longer, add additional cool water.

8 hours before eating, drain the beans and place in a crock pot.  Add the cut up meats and mix well. In the bowl that the beans were in, add the tomatoes, the spices, the onion & garlic and mix well.  Add the tomatoe mixture to the crockpot and stir to mix everything.  Add broth to cover all the ingredients.

Cook on low for 8 hours or until the pork is cooked through and tender.  I serve this with a green salad.  Pete and I have one meal and then I divide the leftovers into 3 containers and freeze it for my lunches.  You'll notice if you go to the original recipe that I modified it a bit.  I don't think cooking the pork or the onions/garlic adds much to it.  I also divided the recipe in half for Pete and I because we don't need that much.

If you divide it into 5 servings, it's 452 calories,9 grams fat, 56 grams carbs, 14 grams of fiber, and 38 grams of protein.

Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment