Thursday, May 10, 2012

208.8: No Gym For Me

My Admission:  I haven't been to the gym since Monday night's Body Pump.  I don't plan on going back until tomorrow's Body Pump class.

I'm wondering if I'm working out too hard?  I've been researching this and found this Livestrong article. 
You exercise frequently, thinking it will help you lose weight, but in fact, exercising too much may keep you from dropping pounds.
I'm wondering if  my almost daily trips to the gym are counterproductive to trying to lose the weight.  Even though I'm doing a pretty good job of mixing it up with running, ARC machine and strength classes, am I doing too much?

I think this Shape article has some good points.
Think you just lost a few pounds from that serious spin class? Don't get too excited—it's just water loss due to sweat. And the amount of water in your system has a heavy influence on the number you see on the scale.
I think my  water consumption of 125 ounces on days that I work out is adding to the weight I see on the scale every day.  When I don't work out I'm getting the 64 ounces in and as you can see in my title today, my weight is down about 3 pounds. 
 Intense workouts cause variability on the scale due to factors like hydration status, inflammation from muscle damage repair (we call this delayed onset muscle soreness), even the amount of intestinal by-product or urine and blood volume, Dolgan says.
I work out intensely each time.  Remember how I said that I never felt successfully unless I burned 1000 or more calories?  I'm pushing myself in each workout to burn the most calories I can in the time that I'm there. 

So what do I do about all this?  I'm not quite sure.  I think the last 3 days of not working out have given my body a good amount of rest.  I love Body Pump and I'm not going to quit doing that twice a week.  But maybe I need to vary up my workouts even more?  Maybe 1 longer run of 4-6 miles a week, a day of walking (and reading my Nook on the treadmill to make me stick to walking) along with a day of the bike and a day of the ARC trainer?  Maybe try swimming again? 

What I don't want is the burned out feeling of "I HAVE to do this but I DON'T want to do this" coming back.  This is where I always get stuck and sort of turn my back on trying to lose.  I need to bridge the gap that this creates in my workouts and get over to the other side to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment