Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Memories

A had a friend ask on Facebook how important traditions were.  I immediately assumed this was a Holidays question and answered:  Traditions are important and I miss the old ones.  But I know that things change and we adapt and find new ones.  The important thing is not to forget the old memories in the sights, the smells and the sounds of the holidays."

I love traditions.  I think because I am so happy when I know what is happening.  Also known as I'm not usually spontaneous.  I've written before about how happy the holidays were for us as kids.  We didn't have much throughout the year and my parents struggled, but the holidays were always magical.  Presents, family, food, fun, laughter and joy.  Such joy.

As family members started passing away and we kids started growing up, the traditions had to change.  I resisted and threatened and sometimes cried about it.  I liked things the way they were, the familiarity of it all.  In the end, it didn't work, even I had to move on.

With Pete, I've developed new traditions.  Things like St Nikolaus Day on 12/6/11; presents in your shoes!  Opening gifts on the 23rd each year because that is when I opened my engagement ring and he proposed.  Things like buying gifts for 4 kids, instead of just my niece & nephew. 

Although I resisted, I see how changing my perspective, learning new things and welcoming change has made me a better person.  Sappy Christmas blog entry, right?  Well, yes and no.  When you think about it, I resisted change for so long when it came to my health.  I was ok because what I was doing was familiar and safe.  Taking chances and making changes was new and not very fun.  I hope that the coming year has me firmly set in place with an about face healthiness-wise also.  New traditions, learning new things and welcoming the change in perspective for my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment