Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Nico

These last few weeks I feel like I've been trying to fit all the summer that I can into life.  As though I know that the changing leaves, cooler weather and snow is right around the corner.  So much so that I looked into my kitchen last Friday and tried to remember the last time I spent any time in it cooking.  I couldn't remember.  I think it was the week I took vacation and spent lots of time cleaning every nook and cranny and cooking.

But it wasn't meant to be that I spent any time in it on Friday.  We were up early and headed out for some shopping.  Then to the State Fair.  We started out at about noon, walking around and eating.  I had to try the sweet corn ice cream.  Pete and I shared a pretzel dog and a cone of Sweet Martha's cookies.  Then I lost my energy.  I've been fighting allergies and a cold and likely a sinus infection.  So we spent 2 hours in the car so I could sleep.  Bless Pete, the man of my dreams for realizing when I need a break and being ok with it.  Then we watched Garrison Keillor and The Prairie Home Companion Show which was pretty funny.

Saturday morning we were up and headed to the last campout for the day.  It was a 3.5 hour drive down there and I relaxed in the car on Pete's lap for most of the ride while our friends drove.  We didn't stay long because it was cold, wet and not very many people there.  But when we came home, we came home with this:

Meet Nico.  He's a Mini-Schnauzer 8 week old puppy.  He's about 5 pound right now and will only be about 15-17 pounds and 12 inches tall when he's grown.  He's the black & silver color that's not very often seen like the salt & pepper version.  And I am in L.O.V.E.  We searched for a name everywhere.  Finally decided on Nico, which means victory in German. 

Sunday we headed back to the pet store so Nico could pick out some toys and we could get some good food for him and sign up for puppy classes.  Then we left him in his crate for about 3 hours while we went out to eat with my family for my Dad's birthday.  Nico did very well and had fun with the kids when they came back to our house to meet him.

Yesterday was relaxing.  I took a 2 hour nap with Nico.  I make chili and cornbread and banana bread.  It was the most wonderful day in a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment