Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Taco Pie? Mexican Cornbread Casserole?

Last week when I was grocery shopping I found lots of great fresh produce.  And as I do a lot, I ended up shopping while creating a recipe in my head.  Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't...  This time it did.  Only I can't figure out what to call it.  Taco Pie sounds, well, not great.  Mexican Cornbread Casserole?  Really it's the best I can come up with.

Take these items:  can of diced chilis, can of reduced sodium black beans, small can of reduced sodium tomato sauce and your favorite salsa.


Add the corn from one large ear and 1/2 cup each of red, yellow and green pepper along with cornbread and some other things.  Here's the whole recipe:

Mexican Cornbread Casserole
  • 1/2 pound lean ground turkey, chicken or beef.
  • 1 tablespoon taco seasoning.  I make my own with the recipe here.
  • 1 1/2 cup diced bell peppers - any color
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
  • 1 cup of your favorite salsa
  • 1 can diced chilis.  I would have used jalapeno if I had a fresh one.
  • 1 small can reduced sodium tomato sauce
  • 1 can reduced sodium black beans
For the Cornbread portion:
  • 2/3 cup wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup cornmeal
  • 2 tblsp sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tblsp oil
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/3 cup shredded cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Brown crumbled meat in pan and add taco seasoning. 
In a large bowl mix the meat, the veggies, the beans, salsa and the tomato sauce well.  I added some other spices like cumin, chili powder and hot sauce to our liking. 
Spray a 9x9 inch baking dish with non stick spray and wipe most of it out.  Pour in the mixture and set aside.
Mix together the cornbread.  Drop by spoonfuls over the top of the dish.  Spread out as much as possible.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cornbread is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment