Friday, May 20, 2011

I Am An Addict

For years now I'd read articles and watch programs about people who were food addicts.  It was interesting to see and hear their struggles.  But after each one I'd sit and think that it just didn't apply to me.

I was wrong.

I think I've finally figured out that I am an addict.  An Addict to and unhealthy lifestyle and that includes my eating habits.  It's not in my nature to always eat healthy, always eat 1500 calories, never eat sweets...  It's not in my nature to get up every morning at 4:30 to head to the gym and exercise.

The good news is that after my wildly emotional start this week, several people have pointed out that while these things don't come naturally to me, it doesn't mean that I can't practice doing them.  I may struggle with them, I may dislike doing them at times, but I CAN do them.

I've been to the gym 4 out of 5 days this week.
I've been tracking my food since Tuesday on my SparkPeople app on my phone.
I've been drinking more water each day.

Since Tuesday I've made better choices.  Not perfect choices and that's ok. I'm not asking perfection, I'm asking for continued daily attempts.  My calories (1800, 1700,1600 respectively) have been getting better.  My exercise could be better and that's what I'll shoot for next week.

But the bottom line is that I am an addict to an unhealthy lifestyle.  As with any addiction, there will be relapses, temptations, cravings, starts, progress and struggle.  It's a natural progression and I need to realize that it's ok and keep going.

1 comment:

  1. But think about someone who is addicted to drugs or alcohol. Sometimes they stop using and never use again. Maybe you should think of it as "recovering food addict". You are NOT powerless over food. In fact you are the ONLY ONE who controls what goes in your mouth. You are in charge of this "addiction" and it's up to you to be in "recovery".

    ReplyDelete