Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dinner -> Lunch

Saturday night Pete and I went out to eat.  Generally I've been trying to do things like only eat 1/2 of what I order and order things without sauces and extras.  I ended up with a flatbread sandwich filled out grilled chicken, mushrooms, a bit of feta and roasted red peppers, Greek style.  It came with a salad and I was disappointed that it didn't come from fries, to be honest.  But once I got that Greek salad - wow!  It was lettuces, feta, kalamata olives, perpperocini,tomatoes, red onions and covered in a light dressing.  I devoured the whole salad and 1/2 the sandwich.

So Sunday when I went grocery shopping I thought about how to do that at home.  I bought chicken, baby red potatoes, Greek seasonings, lemon, kalamata olives, pepperocini, shallots, feta, mushrooms, lettuces, cucumber and tomatoes. 

I marinated the chicken in a teaspoon of minced garlic, 1 T olive oil, the juice of one lemon and 4 chopped pepperocini along with 1 T Greek seasoning I found in the spice aisle.  Then I made a salad with all the veggies & olives.  I squeezed lemon over it and 3 T greek dressing that I had in the fridge.  I coated the quartered potatoes in 2 T olive oil, 1 T minced garlic and 1 T chopped rosemary.  I roasted them in the oven at 450 for 20 minutes, until they were browned.  I cooked the chicken on my cast iron grill pan.

We had the grilled chicken, roasted potatoes and the salad for dinner and it was great!

One trick I do it I take my lunch portion of the the food before we dish out servings up.  I also cut the meat in smaller pieces before I cook it so that it looks like there are more pieces. It make it look like less food is there and we take less/keep portions down.  I made myself a huge salad, just like ours for lunch on Tuesday.  I put 1/4 of the large chicken breast in a bag with 3/4 cup potatoes.

Yesterday for lunch I had the potatoes, the chicken I cut up, both cold.  On top of those I added 3 mushrooms copped up, 12 kalmata olives, 1/8 cup feta, chopped shallots, and 1/4 cup canned artichokes.  I added 3 T greek dressing and mixed it all up.  It was so good!

Do you plan your lunches so that you use leftovers from dinner or do you eat an entirely new meal at lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment