Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Juggling circles down a line

Ahhhhh....I remember this feeling.  What feeling you ask?  The feeling of getting up the day after a weights workout with my trainer and being able to walk upright!  (you think I'm kidding, but I'm not.)  I now remember that it took me about 3-4 weeks of working out with her to get to this point.  I was starting to think that I would never be unsore again and I talked about it in one of my previous posts. 

The cycle of workout, sore, sorkout, sore, workout, sore is a hard one.  It makes you question if what you're doing is right. It makes you question your sanity.  Hell, it makes your husband question your sanity.  It makes you think that you have a life of soreness and you start to wonder if it's all really worth it.  I mean, one 60 minute workout should not cause 2+ days of walking like Fred Sanford or the inability to lift a 1 gallon milk jug into the fridge.

But I remember now...this feeling that I have.  The intense workout that produces a few slightly sore areas.  Nothing that prohibits anything that I do or leaves me unable to do something in my daily life.

All is good then, right?

Well, no.  Because now is when I start to question if the workout that I did was intensive enough.  Almost as if the workout wasn't productive if I'm not sore for days afterwords. 

Seriously?  Yep, that's how my brain works.  It's back to the cyclical thing again.  And it now makes me wonder if my journey isn't really about a straight line to where I'm going or a wavy line of ups and downs to where I'm going, but a series of circles.  Picture a piece of paper with a line down the middle.  Attach several circles to it so that they are just barely touching the line and each other.  I'm starting to think that this is my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment