Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Food as fuel

I keep thinking about this notion that food is just fuel. Then I think about the fact that I LOVE food. And then (if it could get any longer, right?) I wonder why it's so bad to love food?

I grew up with parents that never cooked alternative meals for us kids. Parents who made us try everything on our plate at least once. Parents who made us eat every meal. Parents who made us finish what we took. Some of those things are good and some are bad. I can credit my parents with giving me a wide aray of choices for food. However, I can credit them with feeling like I have to clean my plate no matter how full I am.

I think what it comes down to is that I don't have to see food as fuel only. But I have to figure out how to work good food into my daily intake and limit the bad-for-me-but-good-tasting food.

How do I do this?

I seem to get fixated on bad food lately. Cake is one of them. I could eat cake every day so I've learned not to buy it/make it very often. But I still crave it and think about it. Chocolate is good and bad, right? I crave a little chocolate daily. But I think I have that one because I was introduced to the Attune Chocolate Bar at the Prior Fat Girl get together. I can stake having one of those daily and getting probiotics in too.

it's the breads and the pastas and the fried foods that I can't seem to work in when I get absolute cravings for them. I need to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment