Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Traditions

I'm losing my left big toenail. And interestingly enough, it's a tradition. When Pete and I were married I wore these awesome shoes.

I loved them. My feet however, did not. I think I traipsed around Centennial Lakes about twice that day which comes out to about a mile. And it was .9 of a mile too long. Even though I took the shoes off after the ceremony, my feet were done. D.O.N.E. By the end of the night I wished for a fairy to come carry me off to bed.

Over the next couple of months I lost the nails from the 4th toe on each foot. Nice huh? I've never lost a nail before, so it was an intresting progression.

In September Pete and I went to Woodside Cottages for the weekend for our anniversary. It was lovely and secluded and we had a great time. Only, I opened the heavy wooden bathroom door on my left big toe. It pushed the nail back and caused me pain. Then I noticed bleeding. Since I hada pedicure and dark polish on I didn't see under the nail.

We came home and I neglected my pedicure for the next month. Then, one day, I took all the polish off. And there, under my big toenail, was evidence of the injury. I'll spare you the details, but it's not a pretty sight. I will say that Pete is anxiously awaiting the loss of the nail. If for no other reason, than so that he no longer has to hear about it each time I see the ugly nail.

So, there it is. Our wedding/anniversary tradition. I can honestly say I'm a little fearful of next year.

1 comment:

  1. OMIGOSH! Those shoes are so pretty too.

    Ok, I'm going out on a limb here but if I were you, next year you need to celebrate on a beach BAREFOOT!

    ReplyDelete