Monday, May 04, 2009

100 miles

Yesterday Pete and I drove about 1.5 hours west of our house. To a small town airport. To pick up a motorcycle. When we got there, I spent about 15 minutes riding around the taxi-ways, getting used to the bike. I think Pete was more nervious that I was. He watched for a little bit and then left the area. *grin*

I spent made sure to go about 45 on the straight taxi-way (sans airplanes..) so I'd know what it felt like to go that fast. Wind in my hair, for I forgot my helmet for this little ride. Face in the wind, for there is no windshield. And smile plastered on my face! It was fun. Then I played around starting and stopping so that I could get the clutch down.

And I was ready. *breath in, breath out*

I suited up with helmet this time, gloves and that ever presant smile and we took off. We were both worried about having to go through town and all the stoplights, but I did it. Then the back country roads and getting that little 250 bike up to 55 miles and hour. Smile on, hands gripping the handlebars. Vibrating away from the motor trying to stay up to speed. Wind, lots of wind. Side wind making me lean to left or right. Going into the wind and my helmet lifting off my head (I needed to make it tighter). All the while smiling. I did it.

We'd stop at a stoplight or stop sign and Pete would pull up next to me. And any stranger would have had to look twice to see who's smile was bigger, his or mine. I did it. I rode on the streets with my husband behind me all the way. I can't wait to do it again. I can't wait until I have my bike, one that fits me and that I buy. I can't wait until he and I can ride side by side, in the sun, smiles all the way.

I truely have embraced the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment