Thursday, December 19, 2013

The F Word

You know it.  You think it, you say it.  You're as caught up as anyone.  It holds power and not all of it is good power.

What word?  Fat.

I hate it with a passion.  HATE it.  I don't want it to have the power that it does.  I think that it does such damage to a person. 

I read last week about how Justin Bieber called a curvy size 14 teenager a beached whale.  My heart aches for that girl.  She must have been so excited ot be near her celebrity crush; so excited to meet him.  And what does he do?  He calls her fat.  For no other reason than to build himself up.  No other reason.

Jennifer Lawrence of Hunger Games is quoted as saying:
"I think the media needs to take responsibility for the effect it has on our younger generation on these girls that are watching these television shows and picking up how to talk and how to be cool," she continued. "So all of the sudden being funny is making fun of the girl that's wearing an ugly dress. And the word fat! I just think it should be illegal to call somebody fat on TV. If we're regulating cigarettes and sex and cuss words because of the effect it has on our younger generation, why aren't we regulating things like calling somebody fat?"
As soon as I read this, I was like YES!  Why aren't we realizing the power words have on young kids like this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment