Wednesday, March 14, 2012

222.2; I'm Sore

I've been on an non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug or nsaid for almost 20 years.  It's part of having TMJ issues.  It keeps my TMJ in check on a daily basis so that I don't have pain, swelling and general achiness.  Having any surgery requires that you go off nsaids for 5 days.  They want the drug all out of your system so they can use the medications they need to use during and after surgery. 

I was disappointed to hear at the beginning of the process for the band that I'd need to go off the nsaids all together.  I spent many years in high school and college fighting TMJ issues and not understand how medications help it.  I didn't understand preventative meds and relief meds.  Once out of college my old doctor explained it and I understood that I had to take the medications likely for the rest of my life.  In my 30's I spent 3 years going to a pain clinic to figure out a pain treatment plan that I could live with.  I've had this plan in place for almost 10 years and it's worked.  Now I have to play with it and that is somewhat scary.

My band doctor and I talked about this, given that there really is nothing else I can take.  She said that with the band (the least restrictive gastric option) they don't like to see nsaids used, however, if I really need to take it she would work with me to find one that was gentle on my stomach. 

However, as I said, I had to go off the medication for surgery.  It's day number 4 and I can can feel it.  Even though I took it for TMJ issues, it helped elsewhere also.  I can feel my knees are more sore from the arthritis.  I can certainly feel achiness in my jaw and some pain.  I can feel it in my elbows with their bone spurs.  I can feel it in my hips with achiness.  And I am suffering menstral cramps and issues that I usually don't.  All of that was helped with the nsaid that I can't take.

Tough choice, huh?  But I'm confident that after surgery if I need something I can work it out with my doctors.  I've done it before and I can do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment