Friday, October 12, 2007

Friday Night Lights and a Tribute

I don't usually use names in my blog, but I feel like I need to this time.

The local high school football halftime will be dedicated to Dave tonight. It're pretty hard to describe Dave in words. He's a dynamic man with wonderful qualities.

Dave is my parent's age. He graduated right around my parents and although they knew of him then, they didn't hang around him. Although Dave went to college and has his teaching degree, he chose to work for the school district on the grounds crew. He would have made a wonderful teacher - the kind of teacher that makes an impact with kids. But he followed his heart and worked where it made him happy. He still managed to make an impact on the kids in the community.

Dave spent many years coaching, volunteering and donating to the kids in the community through sports. In fact he coached my softball teams, my sister's teams and my cousin's teams. He not only donated his time to all those teams (plus more), but donated money for uniforms and tournaments. He was a great coach. He has the ability to make it fun for you, to get you interested and to not get down on yourself when it doesn't go your way. Yet, when it was time for seriousness, he could be that also. I have lots of wonderful memories of my school years and playing sports.

Meanwhile, he continued on the grounds crew for the district. He started mowing the high school football field and taking care of that. It became his passion. He cared for that field with everything he had. In fact, the district wouldn't let anyone else mow it and left him a mower at his house near the field so he could do it when he had time. When Dave retired they placed a plaque at the field nicknaming the field "Dave's Field" for all his hard work on the field.

Sometime in there he because the leader for the "chain gang" for the football games. He and a group of guys ( my Dad included) hold the markers for the downs and the yard markers for the current placement of the ball. They talk, have fun and do thise every home football game. He's gotten the "chain gang" uniforms, jackets, hats and even had them doing the same thing at the state tournament. The group of guys get together every Friday for dinner at Dave's house and take turns bringing dinner. Then they walk down to the field for the game. They love it.

A couple of years ago Dave was diagnosed with cancer. He fought hard and with treatment went into remission. A couple of weeks ago my Mom called to say that the cancer was back and Dave was in the hospital. Then she called to say that it didn't look good for him. Well tonight, at the football game, they are going to have a surprise tribute for him at halftime. I'm both happy about this and incredibly sad. He's a single man who never married, yet gave so much to the kids in the community for so many years. And it makes me really sad to think that he won't be around someday soon.

So if you're reading this and you have some spare thoughts, send them Dave's way. I hope tonight he realizes how much of an impact he has and how many people love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment