Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Labor Day

As a kid I hated Labor Day.

Labor Day meant that schoolw as starting the next day and that summer was officially over. As a kid, summers ruled! Who wanted to start school again after being able to sleep as late as I wanted, play as much as I wanted and all the other cool things that come with summer.

Labor Day never meant vacations.

My Dad spent Labor Day outside working on the yard or the house or something manly. Either that or at school getting ready for school to start.

My Mom spent Labor Day watching the Jerry Lewis Telethon and canning tomatoes. Our whole house would smell like a big tomato.

Now that I'm an adult I've come to terms with Labor Day. It's another day off for me so that's good. But how do you think I spent Labor Day this year? Canning tomatoes & doing yardwork. I believe that I have not only become my Mother, but my Father as well. (sigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment