Monday, February 25, 2008

It's been 20 years!

Saturday night Pete and I went to a reunion of sorts form college. It was so much fun.

My first year in college I met this really diverse group of girls. Kim, Stacy, Shar, Jodi, Kim, Paula, Caroline, Pam, Sonja, Kim, Beth, Lori, Shelly...I'm sure there are more, but my aged brain (lol) can't remember them right now. Anyway, we formed this group that did lots of things together, in pairs or groups. After the first year, the group dwindled and some new ones were added.

My did we have fun back then. I remember the whole big group of us at a frat house in a huge circle hanging on to each other and singing along with Bon Jovi's Never Say Goodbye. I remember nights out a party houses giggling and drinking when we were underage. I remember goign to Garvy (the dining hall) and picking out food for dinners. I remember lots of lots of mischief.

After the second year, the majority of the group had moved on and we saw less and less of each other. After I graduated I kept in touch with a few of them...Stacy, Kim, Jodi, Caroline. Then that died down a lot also. I think we got busy with our "adult lives" and the friendships, while grat ones in the past, became somewhat less important. However, the memories were always there.

About 6 months ago I was in a grocery store and ran into Sonja. I actually hung up on Pete because I was so excited to talk to her. (sorry honey) Late last year a group of us girls got together for dinner. It was so strange and yet so wonderful to see those girsl again. To talk about the things we did and where we are in our lives now.

This past weekend we got together at someone's house with all the husbands/finance's. I was hoping that Pete would have fun and he said he did. He noticed how I kind of sit back and watch, interacting somewhat. He asked about it and I told him that this was my "role" back then and I fall into it again. I would sit back, take it all in and then jump in sometimes. Not that I separated myself from everyone, but I needed to find my place in each situation before I was comfortable enough to get in. I think he understands that. He also got to see my big 80's hair and laughed at some of the things we did.

As for me, I looked around the room at the group of girls that I hung around with and they look the same. Some of gained weight, some have gotten a little older, but they are still that group that I loved hanging out with. And I look at their lives now and some of them are exactly where I would have put them when thinking about it 20 years ago. Some are nowhere what I thought they'd be.

I can't wait to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment