Thursday, May 09, 2013

187; Ok Fine, I Weighed Myself Again

I'm 187.  But I don't feel it. 

I've been fighting insomnia all week.  That's never a good thing, for many reasons. 

One reason is that it seems to throw off my eating/drinking.  (I sound like an alcoholic...but I'm not.)  When my body is over tired, I tend to indulge things that I normally wouldn't.  I drink more coffee, less water.  I may have a shorty can of root beer because the carbonation feels soothing.  I eat chocolate because it perks me up.  I eat crappy deli salads for lunch instead of healthy veggies and protein.  And dinner seems to be a free for all.

There is science in this.  It's been shown that people who sleep less, generally eat worse and have a hard time losing weight.

Yesterday I stayed home from work.  It was my second night this week with no sleep and it produced a migraine.  About 8:30 I made myself 1 egg/1 egg white scrambled eggs with an ounce of cheese.  It took me about 40 minutes to eat it.  I love eggs, but they seem to be going down harder and harder lately.  For lunch I had a couple of servings of Pop Chips with some fresh pineapple and strawberries.  No protein, but not crap either.  For dinner I had a piece of sourdough bread with a couple of ounces of cheese melted on it.  Again, not a great choice.

On days where I sleep well, I generally have my coffee in the morning with oatmeal or eggs.  Lunch is a fresh salad or veggies and leftover dinner protein.  And dinner is planned out with a protein, veg and little starch for me. 

I think what makes it harder is that when I don't sleep I don't feel like I have a good plan for the day.  Everything seems random and randomness doesn't promote good eating or even attempting to work out.  Planning out the day (somewhat) seems to promote better habits.  I know what's coming up and what I need to do and what I have to work with.  Randomness seems to mean that I make snap decisions that aren't always the best for me.

All this to say, that even though I'm down a pound form yesterday, it's not earned.  I think it's likely from stress and I don't want to lose weight that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment