Monday, August 18, 2008

I thought I had it all figured out

I love to read. I remember being in 4th grade and getting a gift certificate (this was way before gift cards!) for a local book store. I went in and bought as many books as I could. When other kids were talking while waiting for the bus, I was often times reading. I remember staying up late on weekends reading the teen novels and 'disappearing' into them for hours on end. Then I discovered the library. Amazing wonderful place. I could go and check out books without having to pay for them.

In college my reading took a hiatus. I was reading way too many college textbooks and having way too much party fun to read. After college I picked it right back up again. In fact I used to order books online and have them delivered to vacation spots where I'd be going so that I didn't have to pack them. I'd leave for vacation and take a book a day to read and sometimes that wasn't enough.

Since Pete my reading has again slowed down to almost nothing. It's not that I don't still enjoy it, it's that I don't find the same need to lose myself in a book. It's also that we are so much on the go that I don't have time to read.

Over the weekend we were camping with the biker group and one of them had a book. It made me wonder if I could read while passenger on the back of the bike? Sure enough there was someone in the group who did that. She suggested that I find small books and use clips for the pages. So I bought a Readers Digest at one of the first gas stops.

Couple of things I learned:
1. It's really windy. So windy sometimes that even holding the pages with clips probably isn't going to work.
2. You bounce. And your arm bouncing isn't necessarily in tune with your head bouncing so it tires out your eyes a lot.
3. You miss the scenery. I mean part of riding a bike is seeing things from a vantage point that you wouldn't see while in a vehicle.

So books on the bike are back on the shelf. For now, I'll enjoy hugging Pete and watching the world go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment